[mrtg] RunAsDaemon and Fork

as108 at daimlerchrysler.com as108 at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 17 23:07:11 MEST 2001

Looks like RunAsDaemon already forks or creates threads to work on the
config file so you don't need to use the Fork option.  My first question
is, how many threads will be created?  If I have a config file with 300
interfaces, 1000 interfaces, what determines the amount of multitasking?

Second question is, I've already copied the entire application 6 times on
my HP unix box, so I have seven separate instances of MRTG, i.e. /opt/mrtg1
/opt/mrtg2, ........, I'm now at the limit of my boxes cpu, so I have a
faster box and must migrate from 2.8.12 to 2.9.10.  In terms of the new
options, should I use RunAsDaemon and let it fork/thread by itself, or
should I continue to have multiple instances of mrtg in different
directories so as to run simultaneous, or use the fork option?  Let's say I
have 300 devices and 2000 interfaces and I'm growing.

Andrew Scally