[mrtg] Re: MaxBytes

Josh Parker josh at blackboard.com
Mon Apr 30 20:27:21 MEST 2001

> > Does MaxBytes have to be a specific value?  I mean, I'm sure
> > it does in the current code, but is there a restriction
> > that would stop it from being
> > dynamic in a newer version?
>
> That is a question for Tobi & friends. :)
>
> > I'm no programmer so I have no idea how to answer this for
> > myself, but it'd
> > be nice to be able to generate a red line in the MRTG graphs
> > and have it be
> > dynamic.
>
> What types of situations would you use this in?

I'd be great to be able to get any value for MaxBytes -- an OID or any other
text input file.  That way you could generate, say, a 95th percentile line
on a traffic graph and have a graphical represenation of it as the MaxBytes
(red) line (leaving the AbsMax line at the real max).  Many ISPs and others
use the 95th percentile as standard billing practice.

I've seen it on graphs at one large ISP with their MRTG, but from previous
posts have seen that they must have done their own customizations.  (Check
out http://west-boot.mfnx.net/traffic/sjc/core5-core3-sjc2.html -- the
Monthly graph.)

Josh