[mrtg] Re: error after running cfgmaker

Craig Baird craig at ns.xpressweb.com
Wed Aug 1 00:44:05 MEST 2001

I have the same problem when trying to use MRTG with Linux boxes running
either ucd snmp or cmu snmp.  From what I've been able to tell MRTG 2.9.x
is broken and can't talk to Linux boxes running snmp daemons.  It talks to
other devices just fine (such as Ciscos, Portmasters, etc), however.  On
the Linux boxes, an snmpwalk works fine, but cfgmaker in MRTG 2.9.x
doesn't work (gives the errors you mentioned).  The only work-around I've
found is to go back to MRTG 2.8.x.  It works.  This problem seems to
have been introduced in 2.9, and is still present in 2.9.17.  I sent a
message on this problem to the list a few weeks back and didn't get a
response, so I'm assuming that nobody knows what the problem is...

Anyway, like I said, go with 2.8, and you'll be fine.

Craig
Xpressweb Internet Services
craig at xpressweb.com
http://www.xpressweb.com