[mrtg] Resolution - HP ProCurve 10BT Problems

Steve Jarrell sjarrell at visualtour.com
Fri Feb 16 02:10:32 MET 2001

In case anyone else runs into a HP ProCurve 10BT hub...

By default, mrtg gets its in and out data from IfInOctets and IfOutOctets. I don't know what the octets in these represent in this particular piece of hardware, but it certainly isn't the throughput of any of the ports on the hub. Even will almost 1Mbps going through the first port, the values from IfIn and IfOut were only about 100-200 bytes a second.

Using an snmp tool, I found  hostInOctets and hostOutOctets that had an array containing each of the ports on the hub. By matching the MAC address of the device that port 1 was attached to (this is the one that goes to our ISP), I was able to determine the correct hostin and hostout OID #'s, and set them up manually.  Works great now. Getting exactly what I expected.

Steve