[mrtg] Re: Resolution - HP ProCurve 10BT Problems

Larry Sheldon lsheldon at creighton.edu
Fri Feb 16 02:59:56 MET 2001

The comments below may appear to be from somebody who knows what he is talking
about, but there are people who know better. . . . .

> In case anyone else runs into a HP ProCurve 10BT hub...
>
> By default, mrtg gets its in and out data from IfInOctets and IfOutOctets. I don't know what the octets in these represent in this particular piece of hardware, but it certainly isn't the throughput of any of the ports on the hub. Even will almost 1Mbps going through the first port, the values from IfIn and IfOut were only about 100-200 bytes a second.

My strongly held believe is that somewhere in the MIB2 definition is something
that looks like "IfInOctets and IFOutOctets (indeed, If[AnyThing] I think)
report on stuff addressed to or sent from the interface."

In the case of a hub and non-routing switches, the only traffic addressed
TO the hub (or originated BY the hub) will be management unit in the
hub--everything else flowing THROUGH the hub is addressed to something
else.  (Note that 3Com Ethernet Switches (aka multiport bridges) seem
not to behave just this way, although in the notion of how bridges
work we are in some gray here.)

Per port traffic is not going to be MIB2, it is going to be in a proprietary
MIB, I do believe.

> Using an snmp tool, I found  hostInOctets and hostOutOctets that had an array containing each of the ports on the hub. By matching the MAC address of the device that port 1 was attached to (this is the one that goes to our ISP), I was able to determine the correct hostin and hostout OID #'s, and set them up manually.  Works great now. Getting exactly what I expected.

I think that is in a proprietary (or at least not-MIB2) MIB.  Not all
hubs will have it--not even all "managed" hubs.

And no two of the several brands of hub in our inventory have in the same
place, and some of them report only "Out", others "In" and "Out" are
always equal.

No, I don't remember which is which--I gave up on it all long ago--we
are replacing our hub-stacks with Ethernet switches and the remaining
stacks are being taken apart so there isn't enough information from
hubs to be worth the bother.

I think.  YMMV

--