[mrtg] Re: Minimum interval on NT machine

Steve Willer willer at novator.com
Mon Feb 19 06:43:43 MET 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jim Hunt wrote:

> My totally unscientific test made me think there is rateup is set to
> ignore intervals shorter than 5 minutes.  Also both graphs seemed to be
> nearly identical.  I foolishly did not look in the log files and
> compare.

Yes, rateup creates its databases with 5-minute, 30-minute and 2-hour
averages, I think, over different timeframes for each. It's basically a
hardcoded value. It doesn't actually ignore the data if you give it two
inputs a minute apart, but will use them for creating the next 5-minute
average (I think).

At a guess, I would think that changing the 5-minute average to a 1-minute
average would allow you to do what you want with it. This will require a
change to rateup.c .

If you're using RRDtool, then you would change the mrtg script I think. It
sets these "length of average" settings during the creation of a new .rrd
file or conversion from .log to .rrd .