[mrtg] Re: newbie question on killing only one process

Edward Hartman Networks at TopService.com
Tue Feb 20 04:55:05 MET 2001

Killing every PERL process to stop one is like shaving your head because
one hair is longer than the others (friendly sarcasm...).  Actually there
is a simple way to identify the EXACT Process ID (PID) PERL is using for a
particular config file.

The Perl script creates a file in the mtrg-2.9.7\bin directory (on NT)
called xxx.cfg_l (xxx=the prefix of the .cfg file)  This file contains only
one thing - the PID of the PERL.EXE process that is running the config file.

You can kill a particular xxx.cfg instance without needing to interfere
with any other process.  Go to NT Task Manager, sort by PID (click on the
PID column heading), select the process # from the xxx.cfg_l file, hit the
END PROCESS button.  Life is good!!

HTH

-Eddie