[mrtg] mrtg weirdness

Nate Amsden aphro at portal.aphroland.org
Sat Mar 24 19:21:46 MET 2001

hi.

i've been using mrtg for quite a while and been having a weird problem
recently, at
2 different locations both involving switches that uplink to other switches.

The problem is mrtg(or the switch???) reports inverse stats for (seemingly)
all
ports except the uplink port.

Switch 1: Extreme Networks Summit 48
Switch 2: Cisco Catylist 2900XL
MRTG Version: 2.8.9
OS: Debian gnu/linux 2.2r2

to see an example of this, my summit's stats are on a public page:

(Uplink)
http://portal.aphroland.org/mrtg/10.10.10.2.1.html

(Port 4)
http://portal.aphroland.org/mrtg/10.10.10.2.4.html

I know they are reversed because *all* traffic going out is generated
on VLAN #1(4 ports) and the only system generating a substantial amount
of outbound traffic is what is on port #4(a big website on a friend's
server at my feet)

I have the same problem on another machine(same OS/same mrtg) with a
cisco switch.  these 2 switches are the only 2 that im monitoring(or
can monitor) that have uplinks to other switches(or routers or whatever).

i suppose an easy fix would be to reverse the stats taht are generated,
but i dont know how to go about doing that. i don't know what could
cause 1 port to report correctly and the others to not.

any ideas?

thanks!

nate

--