[mrtg] Re: newbie

Mike Koch Mike.Koch at etsi.fr
Tue Mar 27 17:09:13 MEST 2001

A community name is like a password for identifying your SNMP request. Very
often, the default is "public". So you should change this as soon as
possible. Maybe the community name is already changed on your server and
this why you can't acces SNMP counters ...
Now, with how configuring this, I can't help you since I don't know very
well the Unix world (I'm working on NT), so you should check this on the
web, or even in the archive FAQ.
Moreover, since you seem a very newbie in the SNMP/MRTG world, you should do
some "Web digging information" about this, and carefully read the MRTG
website before trying to play with it. If not, you won't be able to
understand what MRTG is doing and a lot of problems will soon appear. Even
worse, some evil mind on this list could answer to you with a sybillin
RTFM...   ;-)