[mrtg] SNMP Interface

Edgardo Mina edgardo at staff.singnet.com.sg
Mon May 28 05:32:58 MEST 2001

Hi everyone,

currently I am monitoring a dynamic router, meaning every day our network
engineers do some changes in our router, like adding new link on the
interface of the router, or removing some. the problem is when we add new
interface or new link on the router we always end up getting same interface
for IfIndex, sample is this
we add new link with IP 10.10.10.10
when we do snmpwalk router community ipAdEntIfInddex.10.10.10.10 we get result

ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.10 = 23
ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.IP = interface

if someone is already using interface 23 there would be a conflict with
other interface or IP
eg:

ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.11 = 23
ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.8 = 23
ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.10.10.10.6 = 23

and since cfgmaker is baseline on the interface number, what will happen is
that it will only give one of this interface, instead of the 3 IP, IOS
version of router is 12 (cisco), why is it so, is there a way to solved
this problem, since we are running cfgmaker twice daily to cope up with the
changes on the router.

Hoping that someone can help me on this.

regards