[mrtg] Re: MRTG Image from 33 hours to 24 hours

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Nov 15 13:13:35 MET 2001

Oooops.  Made a mistake...it's 288 pixels (1440 minutes in a day/5 minute samples)  I realized that mistake and fixed everything but the two 720's that appear in the message.  The calculations should all be correct though.

>>> "Paul C. Williamson" <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> 11/15/01 07:04 AM >>>

Well, you can't really.  All images will cover the same pixel width.  So if you shorten the daily graphs to exactly 24 hours (what is that, like 720 pixels wide?), all the other graphs will be 720 pixels wide as well.  In a weekly graph, that would work out to 6 days, monthly would be 24 days, and yearly would be 288 days?  That doesn't seem right, but here's my math in case someone wants to check...

1440 minutes in a day / 5 minute samples = 288 pixels
So work from 720 pixels for all the other graphs:
1 - 30 minute sample per pixel for weekly or  8640 minutes = 6 days
1 - 120 minute sample per pixel for monthly or 34560 minutes = 24 days
1 - 1440 minute sample per pixel for yearly or 414720 minutes = 288 days

I hope this makes sense.  Having more than 24 hours in the 5 minute "daily" graph is very helpful, as you can compare the left side of the graph and the right to compare from day to day what is happening.  The two most useful things I'd like to see accomplished a little easier would be:

1.  Looking at specific 24 hour - 5 minute samples for up to a year in the past
2.  Looking at "business hour" usage - Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5 pm or whatever.

I've heard the first one has actually been implemented by a user, and Alex has a FAQ on doing the second one.  Haven't had time to investigate either one in detail yet.
Paul

>>>"Khing Maung" <khing_m at hotmail.com> 11/15/01 02:16 AM >>>

Dear All,

I would like to make some changes in format of mrtg images.I want to change daily,weekly,monthly and yearly images to represent exact 24 hours,1 week,1
month & 1 year period and also corresponding Maximum,Minimum and average
values displayed below these images.Where should i ake changes?Any help
could be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Khing