[mrtg] Traffic Types

Jackson, Simon Simon.Jackson at NETG.CO.UK
Mon Oct 15 17:39:00 MEST 2001

Hi,
This is my first post to the list. I have Just learned of MRTG and have got
it running with a Cisco router. The default install for NT gets the basic
utilisation and this is great.

However, to make the program really useful to me I need to ask whether
anyone can show me how to get the throughput on a port for different types
of traffic (HTTP, SMTP, etc). This way I could set up a monitor to out
Internet router that could give us our actual utilisation as opposed to our
usual finger in the air guesswork.

I am very new to MRTG and SNMP and have just ordered my 1st SNMP book. From
my understanding of the default file I need to know the SNMP Object ID's for
the various traffic types. Is that right? I have a Cisco 3640 in place at
the moment.

Humble and genuine apologies if the question I have asked is pure and total
rubbish but things will improve. This is a wonderful tool and I will get to
grips with it soon,

Kind Regards,
Sam.