[mrtg] Re: Inwards traffic not correct

Tyler J. Frederick tyler at sportsline.com
Tue Oct 16 21:36:37 MEST 2001

Are you so sure that that traffic isn't right?  I have about 20 Mb/s
inbound right now and about 3 Mb/s outbound.. That would make sense for
normal internet usage.  The outbound traffic is simple plain text GET
requests, whereas the inbound is going to be the graphics and html that is
coming back (assuming the majority of your traffic is web browsing).

Also, those counters, you need to query them 5 minutes apart, and get the
difference.  The difference will be the number of octets that traversed
the interface over the course of 5 minutes.  http://faw.mrtg.org really
has a great explanation on data sampling and normalization.

Hope this helps.

tf.

--
Tyler J. Frederick