[mrtg] Documentation for beginners (overview, graph mechanics)?

Ernst Schuppe schuppee at erau.edu
Tue Aug 13 17:59:47 MEST 2002

I've been digging through the documentation and have failed miserably to
locate a document that provides a clear simple introduction to mrtg and it's
basic mechanics by hind the graph engine. In particular I'm trying to
understand the relationship of the various legends--legend1, legendI, etc to
the creation of the graph and it's interaction with the SNMP variables that
are collected. For example, the configuration reference only states :

Legend[1234IO]

The strings for the colour legend

This type of description makes it difficult to develope  mental framework of
how the whole scheme works and is displayed. Unless, I overlooked it, I
think this type of documentation would greatly benefit from a "beginners
guide" that goes through the flow of the process used to create the graphs
and various variations. Perhaps I overlooked the document?

thank you
Ernst