[mrtg] Re: Monitoring 2000 SMP from Linux

Ed Lafferty ed at boltstaff.com
Tue Aug 27 20:34:10 MEST 2002

As I told someone else, take a look at Garth Williams site "SNMP for the
Public Community", http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/.  It should answer just
about any question(s) you have about using MRTG to monitor Microsoft
products.

I don't think you'll be able to monitor your dual CPUs individually.  AFAIK,
due to the way MS implements SNMP, you cannot separate the values for each
proc.  You can get the average CPU use for the server, though.  To monitor
the server from a Linux server, just make sure that SNMP is running on the
server, your target (the server to monitor) and community string  in the
MRTG config file are correct and that you are allowing SNMP traffic to flow.
That should be all you need (it works for me).

Ed Lafferty
Mgr, Network Operations
Bolt Inc.