[mrtg] Re: [PWO] mrtg-ping-probe problems ?!?

Peter W. Osel pwo at Infineon.COM
Tue Jan 29 18:34:36 MET 2002

> Im using the mrtg/mrtg-ping-probe script to see how much packetloss
> there is to our servers on our cabelmodem network, but!! when ever the
> link from the mrtg-box to DNSserver/ISP dies ALL the mrtg-graphs on all
> the other servers get an "packetloss" eventhough there is no packetloss
> to them ?

Martin,
find out if the ping program on RedHat 5.9 has an option to show
network addresses as numbers.  Then pass this option to ping using
mrtg-ping-probe's option '-o'.  Also, use the IP address as the target
and not the host name.

On Solaris, ping has the option '-n' to show network addresses as
numbers, so I can make sure that we don't depend on the DNS server:

	mrtg-ping-probe -o -n 10.11.12.13

Hope this helps....
	--pwo

[Slogan of the moment]

Trouble with Windows? Reboot!  Trouble with Linux? Be root!

--
Peter W. Osel                   Sr. Network & Systems Manager
Infineon Technologies           Email: pwo at Infineon.COM

pgp key fingerprint = 79 2D DD 49 C0 AA D8 CF  2C F9 A5 6A BA 37 0E 28