[mrtg] advice needed..

Ross Tsolakidis rtsolakidis at powerserve.com.au
Fri Jul 5 01:37:35 MEST 2002

Hi there,

I've cross posted both rrd and mrtg lists, cause both are involved.  :)
By the way, thanks to all who have helped me set this up !

I've got rrdtool running with mrtg and it works great.
What I want to do know is monitor indepth what each box is doing...
I want to be able to calculate usage on each web box and links.

The box currently running mrtg/rrdtool is a Sun Sparc running Debian, with a
quad nic, so I have a link into the WAN, DMZ and LAN vlans.
The box is heavily firewalled of course  :)

So the nics have access to every vlan on that particular cisco switch.
I can also set port monitors on all those ports meaning I can pretty much
monitor any/every port on that switch.  Those familiar with Cisco switches
would know what I mean.

Here's a couple of examples of what I'd like to be able to do...

Web box..
Be able to calculate the usage of that box.  Be able to exclude certain
types of traffic...  For example a client of ours has 2 boxes and does some
heavy transfers between the 2 boxes, I don't want to include that traffic in
their monthly costs.
Break down/graph different types of traffic, such as ftp, http, etc..
Break down/graph highest transfers from and to which IP, etc..

Links (routers)
Same as above...

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

--