[mrtg] Re: Latency

Matt Katona mkatona at comwavz.com
Wed Jul 24 15:19:44 MEST 2002

My two cents on latency monitoring..

>From what I seen, Smokeping and all the other free-ware systems generate reports from the point of the management station, which can give mis-leading info. What is the station is under heavy CPU usage or what is the segment that the station on is congested. It will define that the whole network is slow, when in fact only an element related to the Management station is in a poor state, not the entire network. This can get management in a tizzy!

If you are monitoring Cisco Routers with newer IOS's then I would point you in the direction of IPM (CiscoWorks2000 Internetwork Performance Monitor) .. It uses the SA (Service Assurance) agent within the IOS to poll from one router to another and then report the find back to the management station. This gives me a clear cut idea how much latency is on the backbone between routers, removing the element of a workstation telling me what it believes the latency is. IPM also can do 30 other latency type test/reporting. I know this isn't what you are wanting to hear, but if you want true measurements, then it is the way to go.

Network Monitoring Using Cisco Service Assurance Agent
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/fun_c/fcprt3/fcd301d.htm

Overview of IPM
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/ipmcw2k/ipm20/ipmug20/ipmover.htm#xtocid165050