[mrtg] Best approach to exclude certain traffic?

Markus Fischer mfischer at guru.josefine.at
Sat Jun 29 10:05:50 MEST 2002

    Hi,

    besides the problem with displaying the system load (for
    which i probably really should just use rddtool), I'm
    wondering about another thing.

    Simplyfied, our network looks like this:

    Intranet ------- Gateway/Mrtg machine ----  Webserver
    192.168.1.2    192.168.1.1/Real.World.Ip     Real.World.Ip2
    eth0             eth1            eth0       eth0

    I'm monitoring traffic on Gateway (eth0/eth1) and the
    Webserver (eth0).  Now, the thing is: one of our machines in
    the intranet (192.168.1.2) grabs all the logfiles (system,
    apache) from our Webserver Real.World.Ip2 via SSH. This
    ultimatively leads to a very high traffic during the time the
    data is fetched. Normally, the traffic at max. is about 7.2k
    - 15.k. But during this time period the logfiles are fetched
    it explodes up to 800k which makes all the graphs graphing
    interfaces which are along the data fetching route (Gateway
    eth1 <- Gateway eth0 <- Webserver eth0) pretty unreadable
    because all you see is a mega-high speak because of the 800kb
    and the rest of the data is around 7-15kb (which is pretty
    non-existent with the high spike).

    Does someone has an idea how I should go about sorting out
    this traffic? I really don't need it because I've other
    indications whether the transfer happened or not and it's
    more important to see what "normal" traffic the interfaces do
    carry.

    next for any pointers,

        - Markus