[mrtg] Re: Result from MRTG does not match actual file size copied

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu May 9 12:25:28 MEST 2002

Remeber that MRTG does rates of change, not file sizes.
Did you do a baseline measurement to figure out how
much traffic is moving when there are no files
being copied?  Did the file take the whole polling
period to copy?  Did the file copy take longer than
the polling period?  Did it start well after one, but
before the next one, thus causing some sort of weird
spike in between 3 polls?  MRTG was designed to give
admins a rough idea of how their links were doing.
Did you look at the exact number of bytes transferred
in the router before the file transfer and after?
I know my router guys did some benchmark comparisons
and figured MRTG was closer to what the real traffic
looked like vs. any of the commercially available
offerings, but it was still off because of the
normalization that goes on.

If you only have a hammer, every problem looks like a
nail.

Paul

>>> "steve" <spham at qwest.net> 05/08/02 23:06 PM >>>
Hi all,

Does everyone out there has compared the network statistic collected by
mrtg to the actual data move in or out
that Nic?

I performed the comparison by starting the mrtg as a daemon and copied a
specified file size from monitored server to another.
After I done the coping I ran the mrtg_total.pl by Josef Wendel
(http://www.geocities.com/josef_wendel/) and compared both values. It
Turned out the value, which the mrtg_total.pl script calculated is 23 MB
bigger than the actual file size.

Any advises is appreciated

Thanks,

Steve