[mrtg] Graphing very small amounts of data

csa at ferrosan.com csa at ferrosan.com
Thu May 23 09:22:10 MEST 2002

Hi list,

I have written a "plugin" to graph the number of infected mails comming
through our McAfee WebShield by reading the virus.log on the server.

The plugin works as expected (i have tested on the mail.log holding the
total amount of mails scanned) but when it comes to graphing the amount of
infected mails the numbers returned are simply too small, typically ranging
between 0 and 3 pr. 5 minutes. This poses a problem since when divided in
the mrtg.log it comes out as 0. I could of course multiply the number the
plugin returns by 100 or 1000 or something like that, but that will leed to
incorrect values on the graph - unless there is a setting I don't know
about that is.

Maybe the answer is switching to RRDTool, but I don't know.

Could any of you good people provide me with some pointers as to what I
could do to fix this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance for your time.

/Christian