[mrtg] Re: monitoring 3COM switches

Don Harvie donharvie at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 6 21:59:09 MET 2002

I'm happily monitoring a 3com switch 1000, (12x 10Mbps ports & 1x
100Mbps "uplink port") It's an old model (probably about 5 years old
now).

The default community strings for RO & RW are security. IIRC this
applies to the 3000 / 3300 switches too. Never played with a 1100
though.

cfgmaker quite happily found all interfaces (physical, rmon & vlan).

Initital setup is probably best done via the console port, It's all menu
driven so it 's quite easy. The community string is also used as
username/ password when logging on via console or telnet.

Occasionally under traffic it will not respond to snmp polls (timeout)
Since I use it in a lightly loaded lab environment this could be an
issue if you're in a busy environment.
It also has one annoying 'feature' that caused me a lot of grief: I
regard normal behaviour for a switch as this, packets dest MAC unknown
MAC to the switch MAC table should be flooded out all ports. The switch
1000 will only forward them to a defined 'backbone' port. If your uplink
to another switch or router doing bridging make sure it's connected to
the 'backbone' port. This doesn't affect SNMP polls though.

Thats pretty much what I can remember for the general stuff. If you have
specific questions please let me know & I'll have look.

Don
Marvine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has managed to monitor 3Com
> switches (3300, 1100 ) using mrtg ?
> If any, could they give me some address and advice about it ?
> `
> Thanks
>
> Marvine
>
> --

Thanks,
Don Harvie				  Ph +61 2 9882 5963
Network & Firewall Engineer,		  Fax +61 2 9882 5993
Telstra Enterprise Services Pty Limited	  Mob +61 417 411 427
Level 3, 112 Talavera Rd		  Email Don_Harvie at EnterpriseServices.com.au
North Ryde NSW 2113		                donharvie at yahoo.com.au  (personal)
Australia