[mrtg] Re: Cron or deamon

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:26:47 MET 2002

An additional consideration is that if you modify a config file, with cron
the modifications take effect automatically the next time that task is
executed. Running as daemon requires the daemon to be manually restarted for
the changes to be used.

I have 14 separate mrtg tasks started by cron each five minutes. These
configs simply set some global options and then include from 5 to 20 configs
for specific devices. I haven't seen any large performance hit from having
to start perl that often. Of course, CPU spikes to 100%, but only for a few
seconds. This is on a Compaq server, 1.4 MHz P4 running Windows 2000. The
server is also running a bunch of other management-related software, such as
Insight Manager 7, Web JetAdmin, and Big Brother.

All in all, I've found that using cron allows more control and
manageability. I use the cron service from aintx.

Jerry