[mrtg] Incorrect data for MRTG under RedHat 8?

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 26 18:44:21 MEST 2002

I sent the following to one of RedHat's discussion list, but thought I
might try here. The same setup seems to work properly for my OpenBSD box
as far as Net-SNMP is concerned, but the data just seems wrong coming
from the RH8 system which is where MRTG is running.

I have a very simple Net-SNMP setup on one of my servers at home to test
out MRTG and learn more about what I can use it and SNMP for.  Right
now, the snmpd.conf basically just has "rocommunity public" in it as
well as SysContact.  I know that this is not well setup yet, but it is
behind my firewall and I plan to do more with it soon. However when I
issue the following commands, the values never seem to correspond to
anything in the actual system:

[bill at localhost bill]$ snmpget -c public 192.168.1.100
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.9.0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuUser.0 = INTEGER: 2
[bill at localhost bill]$ snmpget -c public 192.168.1.100
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.10.0
UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuSystem.0 = INTEGER: 0

This stays constant under RedHat 8 with the included Net-SNMP and MRTG
regardless of how high the load goes on my system. Also, MRTG reports a
completely inaccurate uptime for this system (which it gets from SNMP as
well).  Neither of these problems seem to occur on my OpenBSD server
running an older SNMPd version (UCD-SNMP v4.x.x).

Is this a net-snmp bug or something odd in the RedHat 8 setup?

Thanks,
Bill