[mrtg] mrtg fork behavior and monitoring

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Mon Sep 9 21:10:28 MEST 2002

I have a few mrtg config files run from cron, each with several forks. I have separate config files mainly because of convenience - I plan to combine them later.

One config file in particular always seems to take longer than the others, though not how I would expect. Out of all the perl processes which get started (a total of 52: 28 for one config file, 16 for another and 8 for the last one), all of them complete within 2 minutes save 1, which jumps up to about 35% processor utilization after all the other ones complete. It continues to run at that rate until just a few seconds before the 5 minute threshold is crossed again and all the processes start anew.

Is there any way to tell what each particular fork is working on? I can verify which config file is being processed but not which part. Is there any way save breaking the larger config files into multiple smaller ones and running separate cron jobs?

Perhaps this is normal behavior?

-Will
Will Saxon
Systems Programmer