[mrtg] Re: IOS ver support ifindexes Etherenet 802.1q

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Sep 13 00:44:43 MEST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Håkan Lindholm [mailto:hakan at spray.se]
>On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Felipe Ramirez Cruz wrote:
>> Somebody knows that IOS versions (Cisco 2600) allow to obtain ifindex of

>> the subinterfaces 802.1q by means of MRTG
>> I have not been able to find information related in the pagina of
>> Cisco....

>There is alot. I use www.cisco.com/go/fn - Feature Navigator.
>
>Feature "SNMP Support for vLAN (ISL, DOT1Q) Subinterfaces (SNMP
>support for IfTable for vLAN (ISL, DOT1Q) subinterfaces)" requires
>12.2(8)T.
>> I have MRTG 2.9.17
>>
>> the version of IOS of the 2600 real is 12.1(5)T10
>
>I think you need at least 12.2(8)T. I would choose the latest 12.2
>(non-T). If you would use ISL instead of dot1q, 12.1(3)T would be enough
>(12.1(5)T10 just fine).

Mainline 12.2 code does not have support.  You are stuck with the most
recent T train (or wait for 12.3...)

This was supposed to be fixed in a late 12.1T revision, but they screwed up
whilst fixing the bug and missed Dot1Q support.  This was acknowledged as a
simple oversight by the DE's.  However, it happened right at the code-freeze
for 12.2, and it was classed as a "feature" instead of a "bug", so we have
to wait for 12.3 or 13.0 for that "feature" to be intergrated into a
main-line release.

The moral of the story - I shouldn't have waited a week after 12.1(5)T2 came
out before opening the case and escalating to the DE's....  A week sooner
and we might have made the 12.2 cutoff and they would have had to have fixed
it...