[mrtg] cfgmake -if-filter and Cisco description field

Darren Ward darren.ward at nttaus.com.au
Thu Sep 19 08:10:08 MEST 2002

Hi All

I need some help and I can't find the answer or if I'm on the right track.

I want cfgmaker to only include interfaces where a match of a word in the
'description' field will include it.

Assume that the router has been configured as:

   !
   interface serial 0
     description MRTG this Interface
   !

Via snmp we can see the alias/description of 'MRTG this Interface'

but I can't seem to be able to match on the word MRTG.

I'd really appreciate any assistance, I've tried just about every pattern
matching I can think of and still the interface gets rejected by the filter.

e.g.
cfgmaker  --global "WorkDir: /usr/local/data/" \
          --global "Refresh: 600"                          \
          --global "Interval: 10"                          \
          --global "Options[_]: bits"                      \
	    --host-template /usr/local/etc/mrtg/host-template  \
	    --ifdesc=descr \
	    --if-filter=($if_snmp_alias =~ /MRTG/) \
          --output /usr/local/data/mrtg.cfg \
          community at target

Little help anyone?

Darren