[mrtg] Gaps in MRTG graphs

Vincent Aniello vaniello at easylink.com
Sun Sep 29 04:33:14 MEST 2002

I am using MRTG to graph the number of messages in Sendmail mail queues on
16 servers.  This is done via an external script called from my MRTG
configuration file.  Some of the servers have a heavy system load which
causes the Sendmail 'mailq' command to return slowly.  This results in gaps
in the MRTG graphs for all 16 servers.

MRTG logs the message:

2002-09-28 21:21:55 -- WARNING: data collection did not complete within
interval!

Since only a few of the servers return the output of the mailq command
slowly I added the option 'Forks: 16' to my MRTG configuration file.  I was
hoping that this would allow the MRTG graphs of the servers that returned
output from the mailq command quickly to not be affected by the more heavily
loaded, slower, systems.

This didn't work.  I am still seeing gaps in the MRTG graphs for all 16
servers.

Is there anyway to prevent MRTG from displaying these gaps or at least limit
them to the servers that do not respond in a reasonable amount of time?

Can a timeout be set for external scripts so that MRTG kills them if they do
not respond quickly enough?

I am running MRTG 2.9.21 with RRDtool 1.0.39.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

--Vincent