[mrtg] Re: One config & per customer access

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu Apr 3 22:53:55 MEST 2003

If it is taking 14all 25 secs to create 8 graphs (3 secs/graph), there
is something wrong with how 14all is configured. On my server, a
single-CPU Compaq 1.3 GHz, Win2K, Apache 1.3, it takes 14all about 2
seconds to create 20 graphs (0.1 secs/graph, or 30X faster than yours),
even with Apache having to do NTLM authentication for every page
element.

Are you running 14all under mod_perl? Do you have the most recent
version? http://my14all.sf.net

The issue might be the size of your config file. I've got ~200
individual device configs called by 14all from a hand-crafted web page
(collapsing menus, etc.). For mrtg's data collection, these are spread
across 12 or so cfg's with include statements. I can stop and start data
collection on any individual device, without affecting 14all's ability
to keep displaying historical information about that device.

Try to think of the data collection and data presentation problems as
two separate issues, which might require two separate sets of config
files to solve. If you can reduce then duplication through links or
includes, all the better.

14all is pretty flexible when it comes to controlling how the graphs
look, if you don't like the defaults. You can even make them look very
much like the mrtg/rateup defaults.

This doesn't help your authentication/authorization problem, though.
Some Apache guru will have to chime in, but you could probably do
something relatively simple with virtual directories and mod_rewrite.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with mrtg-rrd or routers2. I'm
sure I could get them to work, but haven't had the time to dig into it
in depth. Actually my long-term goal is to move all of this to
cricket...

Jerry