[mrtg] Cisco Serial Subinterface

Keith McCallion keith at mccallion.com
Thu Apr 3 23:38:58 MEST 2003

It does not appear that Cisco Serial Subinterfaces have 64-bit counters
(at least in the code that I run).

--snpo: run snmpget from ifHCInOctets&ifHCOutOctets:net2555 at gw5.wlv
--snpo: simple If: .21
--snpo: simple If: .21
--snpo: SNMPGet from net2555 at gw5.wlv:::2::2 --
ifHCInOctets.21,ifHCOutOctets.21
--snpo: SNMPfound -- 'undef', 'undef'
WARNING: skipping because at least the query for ifHCInOctets.21 on
gw5.wlv did not succeed

The regular ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are populated with real data.

It seems like a logical thing for MRTG to do is try the regular counters
if the 64-bit counters are undefined. I realize I could force MRTG to
use the regular counters by using SNMPv1, but I am generating this
configuration file automatically and would have to go through and
postparse it every time.

Any other suggestions?

Keith