[mrtg] Re: mrtg data into database

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Fri Apr 4 20:17:50 MEST 2003

Hi Max,

>I was wondering if it is possible to dump mrtg data into a database for
>warehousing, etc...

Anything is possible but it isn't all that easy today. I am currently dumping the values to a csv file for reference by other tools (graphical line colors and a topN cgi script). However the process has limitations. I go to every rrd file any pull the numbers out, but I have hundreds of rrd files. This is done every 5 minutes and I barely get away with it.

Now what we/I could really use (hello tobi) is an archive rrd. A seperate rrd which simply gets created every run clean and is updated with all the values for all the targets (aside from normal updates). Although given the job of rrd is to do the rollup this may not be feasible for a new rrd except for writing current values. Limitations would again seem inevitable but something to think about.

cheers,
brad...