[mrtg] how to find out mrtg graph utilization report?

Lam, Ken ken.lam at terayon.com
Thu Jan 23 03:30:35 MET 2003

Hi All,

I got my mrtg running on windows systems with the graphs but am not
sure how to calcucate the bandwidth utilization on this frame WAN link
384Kbps to our remote site.

System: HeadQuarter - HongKong in
Maintainer: Description: Serial0/0 ###CID###
ifType: frame-relay (32)
ifName: Se0/0
Max Speed: 193.0 kBytes/s

The daily graph report shows the following report:

Max    In: 47.6 kB/s (24.7%)	Average In: 4885.0 B/s (2.5%)	Current
In: 1317.0 (0.7%)
Max Out: 46.3 kB/s (24.0%)	Average In: 6093.0 B/s (3.2%)	Current Out:
835.0 B/s (0.4%)

The weekly graph report shows the following report:
Max    In: 46.6 kB/s (23.8%)	Average In: 3245.0 B/s (1.7%)	Current
In: 1371.0 (0.7%)
Max Out: 44.5 kB/s (23.1%)	Average In: 3359.0 B/s (1.7%)	Current Out:
3359.0 B/s (1.7%)

When looking at the graphs and the chart draw up to 48.0k on the "bytes per
second" and I know
this will scale up depend on how much the usage of the line.  As I can see
from looking at the
daily graph, the highest that it can go is 48kbps but it only stay for an
hour or so and the rest of
graph show at around 12kbps.

I am trying to find out was that what the actual ulitization bandwidth usage
on the line and not sure
what I see above is accurate.  Do I have to apply some formula or special
calculation method to be
able to find out the correct utilization report usage?

The one thing I notice was that this WAN line that I'm monitoring is the
serial0/0 at the remote site
and the MAX Speed shows above does not match with actual line bandwidth
itself which in this case
is 384Kbps.

Any ideas or tips on this would greatly appreciated.

Ken.