[mrtg] problems installing mrtg on RH 9

Brian Anderson brian_anderson at sil.org
Fri Jul 11 11:37:42 MEST 2003

I am trying to install mrtg on my network, but I think I'm missing something in my configuration.

When I installed RH9, I also installed the mrtg (v 2.9.17-13), libpng (v 1.2.2-16), zlib (v 1.1.4-8), perl (v 5.8.0-88), and gd (v 1.8.4.11) rpms. SNMP is not installed. These were installed by the installation program, so I'm not sure where it put all the files.

Here is my mrtg.cfg:

WorkDir: /var/log/mrtg/stats
LibAdd: /usr/lib/mrtg2
PathAdd: /usr/lib/mrtg2
Target[r1]: 2:rh9linux at 192.168.0.119
MaxBytes[r1]: 1250000
Title[r1]: Traffic Analysis for my desktop
PageTop[r1]: <H1>Stats for my Ethernet</H1>

When I run the program, I get many (several screens) of the errors listed below, and the program ends with the last line shown at the end of the file.

I tried it with the default .cfg file, but that produced the same errors. Next I added the LibAdd and PathAdd lines. Still not working.

Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xea, immediately after start byte 0xe5) at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/locales_mrtg.pm line 460.
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xf1, immediately after start byte 0xea) at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/locales_mrtg.pm line 460.
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xe0, immediately after start byte 0xf1) at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/locales_mrtg.pm line 460.
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "192.168.0.119" [192.168.0.119].161)
                  community: "rh9linux"
                 request ID: 1066785633
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 450
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 on rh9linux at 192.168.0.119
 at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1491
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

After the program is run, the graphs are in the correct directory, but there isn't any data trace.

If mrtg is looking for the files/libraries/modules in a specific location, can you tell me where that is? Or can I tell mrtg where to find the existing programs?

I have tried to download the current rpms from various sites, tried to download the gd, libpng, zlib packages and compile them myself, and I've read the documentation, but haven't found an answer to this.

If mrtg, zlib, perl, gd, and libpng were all installed by the installation, do I need to compile anything? Or just modify the .cfg file to identify the directories where the files should go?

Thanks for your help.

Brian