[mrtg] Re: problems installing mrtg on RH 9

axie fm4 at gmx.net
Fri Jul 11 12:40:47 MEST 2003

hi,

>When I installed RH9, I also installed the mrtg (v 2.9.17-13), libpng (v
>1.2.2-16), zlib (v 1.1.4-8), perl (v 5.8.0-88), and gd (v 1.8.4.11) rpms.
>SNMP is not installed. These were installed by the installation program,
>so I'm not sure where it put all the files.

>SNMP Error:
>no response received

mrtg tells you it couldn't fetch any snmp data.
in order to monitor your network traffic with mrtg, you need to
have a snmp daemon installed and configured properly.
after that you have to create a new configfile with cfgmaker as
described in
 http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/unix-guide.html
for example.

>Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xea,
>immediately after start byte 0xe5) at
>/usr/bin/../lib/mrtg2/locales_mrtg.pm line 460.

if that error still exists after installing your snmp daemon,
you have to add the following lines to your /etc/profile:

LANG='en_US'
export LANG

regards,

axie