[mrtg] Re: FW: Problems with the absolute option

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 10:30:43 MET 2003

> I have an external script that outputs the data that I want in a
temporary
> file. This is the amount of calls received in the last 5 minutes. So
> each time the value is reset to 0 when reading basically. I use the
> config file below. What happens is that I feel the absolute option is
> not used at all, I have tried every combination of the gauge, absolute
> options. I think I need absolute but this does not work. The outcome is
> the difference between the previous measured value and the current value
> and that per minute. So if the previous value was 10 and the current is
> 10 it says 2 per minute (20 - 10 is 10 over 5 min is 2 per/min while it
> should be 4) Can anyone help me in the right direction here? Thanx a
> lot.

You want Absolute, not Gauge.
If you use Gauge and get the readings 10, and then 10 again, it will plot
10, 10
If you use Absolute, it divides the current value (10 in the last 5 mins)
by the time (5 mins) and plots 2 per minute.
Without either, it subtracts the previous reading from the current reading
and divides by time (meaningless in your case)

In your example, the figures of 20 and 4 per minute are incorrect. Your
script has calculated the number in the last 5 mins, so you use Absolute to
convert to figures per second/minute
MRTG defaults to "per second" and will not display values less than one, so
you correctly use the perminute option (although that may give you problems
if your figures really are as low as 2 per minute)

Peter