[mrtg] Confused about OIDs changing

Jeffrey Wilkinson jeff at ozline.net
Fri Nov 21 19:36:30 MET 2003

We are monitoring nearly a dozen dual-processor Intel servers for memory, cpu,
and disk utilization.  The OIDs for CPU are different from machine to machine
(1.3.6.1.2.1.25.3.3.1.2.x).  On most machines, the processors have an 'x'
value of 1,2 or 2,3 or 3,4 for CPU #1 and #2, and these values seem to persist
across reboots.

We have one machine, however, whose OIDs change wildly any time the SNMP
service is restarted (such as after a reboot).  For example, yesterday 'x' was
2,3.  Today I have restarted SNMP a few times and got 'x' pairs of 36,37 then
40,41 then 43,44, and now it's 34,35.  Obviously this breaks the MRTG config
and cpu graphing dies.

Can anybody lend some advice on how to stabilize this problem?  Can the CPUs
be referenced by name instead of explicit OID?  I've read about using .mib
files, but am not quite sure how they fit into the grand scheme of things.

Any advice or good links = greatly appreciated.