[mrtg] MRTG with VLAN

metha Tharaporn metha at multilink.co.th
Mon Oct 20 12:40:52 MEST 2003

Hello
        Below is the process when running VLAN Statistic to show the statistic graph of each VLAN. Is it possible with MRTG to graph the statistic of each VLAN like SMON manager of AVAYA? Because I'm new to MRTG, if it's possible with MRTG to graph  please let me know the concept. Any advice, tips, feedback, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
1. after started the P882 Device Manager -> Device SMON -> VLAN Statistics
2. the SMON manager (written by Avaya) will go and learn
-   the modules installed in the switch using ProminetMIB - Avaya private MIBs
-   the vlans configured in the switch (ProminetMIB)
-   it will then learn what are the interfaces (ports) installed (using RMON and ProminetMIB)

3. when the Device SMON manager polled the switch for info
-   it will first retrieve the switch current time (MIB2)
-   Using ProminetMIB - find the vlans active on the switch and the vlan assigned to each port
-   once they know the ports, it will retrieve ifInOctets, ifInUcastPkts, ifInNUcastPkts (MIB2) from all the ports

4. The Device SMON manager will then sum the ifInOctets, ifInUcastPkts, ifInNUcastPkts for each vlan and then present it in the graph.

Regards
MethaT
Support Engineer
Multilink Co.,Ltd.
Tel: (66)2-3188002-5, Fax: (66)2-3188006
email: metha at multilink.co.th
mobile: (66)6-0777141