[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker and VRRP/HSRP?

Mordechai T. Abzug morty at frakir.org
Fri Aug 20 15:55:38 MEST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 02:35:59PM +0200, Stefano Giraldo wrote:

> U could monitor the interfaces on their real IP address,
> 'n then use the aggregate traffic analysis [target] 1st_int + 2nd_int.
> So it should work.
> Only a suggestion... the mrtg server should be on the same IP LAN
> (or VLAN) of the routers dued to routing problems that can occur.

The problem is that both the real and the virtual IPs are associated
with the same physical interface.  So, I don't want [target] real_ip +
virtaul IP, I just want [target] real_ip.  This is fairly easy to do
manually; I just want to be able to automate it with a suitable
cfgmaker incantation, so I can regenerate my MRTG configs with a
Makefile instead of doing it manually.  We have a lot of routers; new
LANs and WAN services are provisioned all the time.  So, is there a
way to get cfgmaker to skip VRRP/HSRP IPs?  The routers in question
are primarily Ciscos of assorted flavors and Junipers; there are also
some 3Com netbuilders and Nortel/Bay/Wellfleet BNs/BLNs/ASNs.  The
network changes a lot; new services are added, old ones are retired.
Since the interface is the same for both the real and virtual IPs, I
don't think an interface filter will do the trick.

- Morty