[mrtg] Problems with mib for CAR/Rate-limit monitoring

John M. Livingston john at jmlivingston.com
Tue Oct 5 20:35:01 MEST 2004

Hey Everyone,
I've been trying to setup CAR monitoring, the rate-limit is all setup but I can't seem to grab the snmp info using mrtg.  I've searched through the archive and only found two messages that described the OID instance definition, and they didn't agree with eachother...    :/

The OID I'm trying to get is the SwitchedBytes counter:
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.113.1.2.1.1.2

The two definitions I've found for the instance are as follows:

 First one: (ifindex of real interface).(which rate-limit line).1
 so this would be .9.1.1, my ifindex is 9 and I only have one rate-limit line.

 Second one: (ifindex of real interface).(direction of rule: 1=in,2=out).(rule number)
 so for me this would be .9.2.1 for my ifindex, outbound, and my single rate-limit line.

Neither of those formats worked for me, the error status returned by mrtg is "noSuchName", but I am able to grab the standard interface counters just fine.  MRTG version is 2.10.15, perl is ActivePerl 5.8.4.810, platform is Win2K, router is Cisco 7206 ios 12.0(7)T, interface is an ATM subinterface with AAL5.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, and TIA.

John