[mrtg] Re: are perl and active perl different?

Craig Humphrey Craig.Humphrey at chapmantripp.com
Tue Oct 5 22:29:25 MEST 2004

ActivePerl is the version of Perl maintained by ActiveState, mainly for
the Windows platform (though I think they've now release *nix versions
too).

As far as I know they're basically the same, though ActivePerl is
"tweaked" for Windows and contains a few extra utilities that aren't
standard with Perl (eg PPM).

If you're using windows, your probably want to stick to ActivePerl.  If
you're using a *nix, then stick to the RPM (or package) released for
your particular *nix/distro.

If you're a compiler junkie, grab the source to Perl and compile it
yourself (on Windows, you're ability to compile will vary, hence
ActivePerl).

Hope that helps.

Later'ish
Craig