[mrtg] $if_port_name and Cat5500's

JBazzano at hearst.com JBazzano at hearst.com
Wed Sep 1 04:54:50 MEST 2004

Hello all,

I have been using MRTG on and off for a couple of years now.  I am
currently working on a new deployment and some customization but have a
problem.
My system is set up on FreeBSD 5.1.2 using MRTG 2.10.14 and 14all.cgi.  I
searched the list archives and found someone with a similar problem, but I
did not see any answer that worked for me.

When I run cfgmaker against a 5000 with old code (3 train), cfgmaker fails
to learn the cisco port names ($if_port_name).  Could this simply be
because of old code? Does anyone know at what revision this problem goes
away?

When I use snmpget with snmp v1 and the same OID that cfgmaker uses I do
get the port names.

------------
Second problem is on a Cat6500.  When cfgmaker runs it does learn the
$if_port_name(s) but there is no --ifdesc=
 option that will include the catalyst port name on the Title [target] :
line.
I was able to make a modified cfgmaker that worked to fix this, but it
failed at making routers look right :)

Thanks for any help.

Jim Bazzano
Sr. Network Engineer
http://www.hearst.com
250 W55 St. NY NY 10019
jbazzano at hearst.com

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal
use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not
an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or
distribute this message.

please notify the Hearst Information Services HelpDesk
(helpdesk at hearst.com) immediately by e-mail and
delete the original message.