[mrtg] Re: Base logic for external arbitrary data to mrtg

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Dec 7 05:11:58 MET 2005

>>> "Scott Haneda" <lists at newgeo.com> 12/06/05 10:43 PM >>>

<snippety>

> Can you point me to some relevant links, I know for sure, I
> wont be doing 300 over 5 minutes, no where close to that.

Sure...

http://www.somix.com/support/mrtg_repository.php

Something that might help out...
http://www.earlham.edu/~littejo/software/mrtg-mailstats.html

... and a little self promotion.  I need to update this!
http://www.geocities.com/paulcwilliamson/mrtg/index.html

> > Make sense?  Good.  If not, keep asking questions,
> > We were all newbies once.

> I certainly will :-) I am just addicted to this thing now, working
> on a way to MRTG how many cigarettes I smoke per day :-)

We're all addicted.  It's quite a powerful profiling and
trending utility.

> > Remember that MRTG was designed to report data
> > flowing through a network interface in five minute
> > intervals.  It has evolved into being able to report
> > on any integer rate of change over time, typically
> > in 5 min, 30 min, 2 hour and 24 hour increments.
>
> Yeah, constantly amazing me the results I get in google
> and what people have adapted it to be able to do.

Aside from the obvious, MRTG/RRDTool combination
outperforms most commercial offerings.  You'd
be surprised once you get proficient at it just
how much more weight your word will carry
when you can present the data with graphs.

Paul