[mrtg] mrtg, extOutput.1, snmp

Bill admin at vci.net
Thu Dec 29 22:37:59 MET 2005

    I have mrtg monitoring my sendmail stats using a script that telnet's to
my mail servers and gets the stats. Today, I was trying to change the data
collection method to use get the email stats using snmpd. I added an "ext"
option to snmpd.conf and wrote a script to return the stats. When I do an
snmpget from the monitoring server it works perfect. I changed the source in
my mrtg config file and run mrtg. It runs without any errors but my RRD
files don't record the data. It's filled with NaN. After I wait about 30
minutes the entire RRD file is still NaN.

    I've done everything I know to do. I've never had this much difficulty
getting something to graph and I can't figure out why this doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas.

    Bill