[mrtg] Re: ISDN Interface Monitoring

Peter P. Benac ppbenac at emacolet.com
Wed Feb 9 21:14:08 MET 2005

Brad,

    The best way to do this is to block all but interesting traffic on the
ISDN line and make sure that SNMP is not considered interesting traffic.
The problem occurs because your router will bring up the ISDN interface when
it sees traffic going to the IP address on the remote routers IP address on
the ISDN interface.

    Ciscoworks 2000 or Ciscoworks for Windows is not a good choice at any
rate.  It is NOT a fault management system and should not be used as one.

    If you are looking to receive traps when the ISDN comes up look at
OpenNMS (open source) or if you are looking at a small number of interfaces
What's Up Gold buy Ipswich should do the trick.

Regards,
Pete
----
Peter P. Benac, CCNA
Emacolet Networking Services, Inc
Providing Network and Systems Project Management and Installation and Web
Hosting.
Phone: 919-618-2557
Web: http://www.emacolet.com
Need quick reliable Systems or Network Management advice visit
http://www.nmsusers.org

To have principles...
             First have courage.. With principles comes integrity!!!