[mrtg] Re: Monitoring traffic of a CISCO dsl router

Stefano Giraldo stefano at neotokyo3.it
Mon Mar 14 17:24:00 MET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruben Montes" <Ruben.Montes at eu.didata.com>
To: "John" <isofroni at cc.uoi.gr>; <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 1:25 PM
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Monitoring traffic of a CISCO dsl router

> Hqt (hola que tal)!
>
> MRTG queries the router using the SNMP protocol. You should configure
> the communities in this device in order to make MRTG work. Here you have
> the commands:
> Enable
> Enter password:
> Conf t
> Snmp-server community "name:you put what you want" ro
> End
> Wr mem

Hi Ruben... not to offend you, but I would add some more config lines... to
improve security, performance and number of information! :)

John, add also:

conf t
snmp-server community <community_name> RO 90
snmp-server packetsize 1024
snmp-server queue-length 128
snmp-server location "type the location"
snmp-server contact "type the admin mail address of this router"
access-list 90 permit <ip_address_of_the_host_where_run_MRTG">
access-list 90 deny   any
end
copy run start

Bye,