[mrtg] Re: Tool for cross traffic analysis

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Oct 13 16:11:58 MEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 06:57 +0000, Prasad Kularatne wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I am carrying out a research in finding out the sensitivity of regular
> traffic to iSCSI traffic in a LAN environment. This requires analysis of
> the traffic profiles of different TCP traffic types and their efffects on
> the queueing.
>
> I am looking for a tool which can graph different traffic types flowing
> off the same Switch port. Currently I am using the SPAN port with
> Ethereal, but it has some issues.

I'm afraid that will be the best you will be able to gather.

> Does any one of you know of a tool for out-of-band (should not affect the
> traffic flowing over the monitored port) monitoring of different TCP
> traffic over a LAN switch, preferably using SNMP counters. I want one
> second granularity.
>
> I have a Cisco 2970 L3 switch and it does not support NetFlow.

2970 is a L2 switch.  None of the 35xx or 375x line support netflow with
IOS 12.2SE - a real bummer, since the 3550 used to support it...

But netflow will not give you 1-second granularity - it only reports
when the flow ends.  So a sniffer is really your best tool.  If you are
having trouble with SPAN, then get a splitter from CenturyTap.  But
nothing else will give you anything like the granularity you are looking
for.  You might have to go back and do a manual analysis of the trace
(Sniffer Pro from Network Associates does a better job of back-end
analysis than Ethereal, but the cost/benefit ratio might not be
there)...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com