[mrtg] Re: 3com ss3 firewall blank graph problem

Clemson, Chris Chris.Clemson at softwareag.co.uk
Thu Feb 23 13:20:28 MET 2006

> I know MRTG is ok because it graphs the traffic going through our
> managed switchs fine.
> The firewall is a 3Com superstack 3, I've set all SNMP traffic to be
> allowed through on all ports and have configured all the SNMP
> settings I
> can find: get community name, system name, system contact, system
> location and host 1
> This is our main firewall with constant traffic going through
> it, so im
> sure the graphs shouldnt be blank.

I had a problem with sonicwall's XPRS2 firewall a few years ago.
Although they said they supported SNMP, their counters didn't seem to do
anything.
It took several firmware updates (about a year's worth) before they
decided to fix this, which was highly annoying.

Could this be the case with yours?

Another problem I have come across with devices is a Netgear GS724T
switch, which logs traffic properly for about a week or so, then seems
to give up.
After a power cycle, it starts logging again. Very annoying. We were
thinking of replacing all our switches with this model, but I'm not
going to bother now.

It seems that not everyone can implement SNMP properly....

Chris