[mrtg] RRDRowCount doesn't work for existing logs

Miguel Vargas unroar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 03:44:29 MEST 2006

I've been trying to use RRDRowCount to convert existing MRTG log files to
rrd and it doesn't work. Searching through the archives I found this
question from 2002 with the same problem but his questiton was never
answered: http://lists.ee.ethz.ch/rrd-users/msg05035.html
I dug into the mrtg perl script and I think RRDRowCount only works when the
mrtg log file doesn't exist (i.e. when mrtg has never run) because the
subroutine log2rrd in MRTG_lib.pm doesn't take rrdrowcount into account.

>From the mrtg code, line 750:
        if (-e $dotlog and not -e $dotrrd) {
             log2rrd($router,$cfg,$rcfg);
[log2rrd doesn't seem to take rrdrowcount into acount]
        } elsif (! -e $dotrrd) {
[the code down here does]

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

While I'm here I'd also like to comment on 2 problems on the website:
- The RRDRowCount documentation is only in mrtg-reference, it should also be
mentioned in mrtg-rrd.
- The search facility for the email lists archive currently does a google
search for 'blah "mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch" site:www.ee.ethz.ch' which doesn't
work.  The proper google search should be 'blah "mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch" site:
lists.ee.ethz.ch', or just 'blah site:lists.ee.ethz.ch/mrtg'