[mrtg] Newbie questions about mrtg graphing of cisco switches ...

Sandor W. Sklar ssklar at stanford.edu
Sun Apr 1 18:55:30 CEST 2007

Sorry for what might be really lame questions; I've read the
documentation pretty thoroughly, but a few things are escaping me.

I was able to get MRTG up and running, monitoring a three switch
Cicso 3750 stack very easily.  I used cfgmaker to with the following

	cfgmaker \
	--global "WorkDir: /opt/home/mrtg/public_html" \
	--global "Options[_]: growright" \
	--output /opt/home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg \
	--ifref=name \
	--ifdesc=alias \
	<community>@<switchaddress>

... and run it with the cron job:

*/5  *  *  *  *  LANG=C /opt/home/mrtg/mrtg/bin/mrtg /opt/home/mrtg/
cfg/mrtg.cfg --logging /opt/home/mrtg/cron.log

... and it seems to be working perfectly.

My questions:

*  It appears that the maximum throughput (either "in" or "out") on
any given port is about 14.4 Mbytes per second.  Because most ports
never come close to using that, though, looking at graphs from all
the ports on the same page gives a "false impression".  My question
is, is there an option I can specify that would keep all the graphs
at the same scale, that scale being 14.4 Mbytes/second?

*  I'm using the "indexmaker" program to write the html pages used to
display the graphs, with the options:

	indexmaker \
	--prefix=/mrtg/ \
	--output=/opt/home/mrtg/public_html/index.html \
	/opt/home/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg

Am I supposed to be running that command every 5 minutes as well?
Right now, I run it only when I generate the mrtg configuration, via
the cfgmaker command above.  Also, the output files of indexmaker are
pretty basic; are there other tools, that are similar in ease of use,
that might produce more, um, interesting/modern/feature-full html pages?

Thanks, and huge thanks to Tobi for such a powerful and easy to use
application; I really was shocked at how quick and easy it was to get
to the basic point where I'm at now.

	-s-