[mrtg] moving MRTG to new machine

DA Forsyth iwrtech at iwr.ru.ac.za
Tue Apr 3 08:52:39 CEST 2007

On 2 Apr 2007 , Amr M. Salah entreated about
 "[mrtg] moving MRTG to new machine":

> Hello every body,
> Please, I need your advice in such an issue, which is moving MRTG to
> new machines
>
> To make it more clear, I have a running version of MRTG and I need to
> move it to new machine with all of its configurations and files
>
> What shall I do? more over, can I upgrade this installation after
> migration

I would install the most recent version on the new machine.
Make sure you use the same paths as on the old system, this makes
transition a lot simpler.

Then, transfer one .cfg and it's log files at a time, making sure
each one works properly before moving the next one.

Yes, you will lose a few minutes of data now and then, but that
cannot possibly be ultra critical, can it?  Once you have done a
couple of cfg's you will know exactly what to watch for and it will
go ever quicker.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research